0470 Incident Reporting¶
The incident report is used to record that an incident (such as data breach, software error, quality failure detected) has occurred. Many organizations have a dedicated incident management system (such as ServiceNow, GitHub or Jira). Open metadata supports the management of incident reports, either directly, or as a proxy to an incident in an incident management system. Where the incident is described in open metadata, it can be linked to the assets that are affected and its resolution can be governed through governance action processes.
The IncidentReport entity is a Referenceable that describes the incident, when it occurred and its current status.
The IncidentReportStatus enumeration provides the valid values for the status describing the progress made to resolving the issue described in the incident report.
- Raised - The incident report has been raised but no processing has occurred.
- Reviewed - The incident report has been reviewed, possibly classified but no action has been taken.
- Validated - The incident report records a valid incident and work is underway to resolve it.
- Resolved - The reported incident has been resolved.
- Invalid - The incident report does not describe a valid incident and has been closed.
- Ignored - The incident report is valid but has been closed with no action.
- Other - Another incident report status.
The ImpactedResource relationship allows an IncidentReport entity to be linked to Referenceable entities that describe resources that are impacted by the incident. For example, it may link an incident report to a SoftwareServer that is unavailable. The severityLevelIdentifier describes the severity of the impact on the Referenceable entity. Its value is taken from the list of severities defined in the GovernanceClassificationLevel collection for severity levels.
The IncidentDependency relationship allows related IncidentReport entities to be linked together. The description property describes the relationship.
The IncidentClassifier entity describes a valid value for an entry in the incidentClassifier map of the IncidentReport entity.
- classifierLabel is used as a unique name for the classifier for incident management systems that us a string as a classifier.
- classifierIdentifier is the unique identifier for the classifier, associated with the classifier label in the incident report. It is used with incident management systems that use a number in its classifier definition.
- classifierName is used as a display name for the classifier.
- classifierDescription is used to provide more information on how the classifier should be used and its significance.
The IncidentClassifier entities allow an organization to define their own classifiers. They are grouped together into one or more collections to make them easy to locate. For example, there may be a collection of classifiers used in security incidents; another for system outages.
The IncidentClassifierSet classification identifies a collection that contains a list of IncidentClassifier entities.
Raise an issue or comment below