0445 Governance Roles¶
Although we aim to automate governance as much as possible, it is often necessary to assign responsibility for specific actions to specific people.
In Figure 1, the responsibilities of someone assigned to manage a particular aspect of governing a resource or related element (Referenceable) is represented by a GovernanceRole entity. Since GovernanceRole inherits from PersonRole an individual is assigned the Governance Role through the PersonRoleAppointment relationship.
Figure 1: Assignment of Governance Roles
Specific subtypes for GovernanceRole are also defined to group governance roles into the typical types of responsibility.
- GovernanceOfficer - person leading a governance domain.
- GovernanceRepresentative - Describes an advisor or representative from a governance domain that is working with other roles to help them with their governance tasks.
- LocationOwner - Describes a role that has specific responsibilities with respect to a location.
- BusinessOwner - Describes a role that has specific responsibilities with respect to a business area or service.
- SolutionOwner - Describes a role that has specific responsibilities with respect to a solution.
- AssetOwner - Role responsible for the correct management of an asset.
- SubjectAreaOwner - person responsible for the definitions within a subject area.
- ComponentOwner - person responsible for a component such as a software module.
- DataItemOwner - person responsible for the correctness of a particular type of data value throughout its lifetime. Often these data values flow between systems and the DataItemOwner must be sure it is correct in all places.
Ownership is assigned to a resource by adding the Ownership classification to it. This classification can assign ownership as an ActorProfile, UserIdentity or PersonRole. It does not need to be a GovernanceRole.
- ResponsibilityStaffContact relationship is deprecated in favour of the more generic PersonRoleAssignment.
- GovernanceRoleAssignment relationship is deprecated in favour of the more generic AssignmentScope.
The original ownership types did not allow resources to be owned by a person role. They are all replaced by the more generic Ownership classification.
- AssetOwnership - use Ownership
- AssetOwnerType - use Ownership properties
- OwnerType - use Ownership properties
Raise an issue or comment below