0215 Software Components¶
Many processes running in an organization's IT landscape are implemented as pluggable software components. Some of these are simple, others are more complex. The types shown on this page describe such components, their internal structure and running instances (if the process is short-lived and each instance has different lineage).
The DeployedSoftwareComponent entity describes a code asset that is deployed to implement a software capability. Each software component has a well defined interface describe by an APISchema entity that is linked to the DeployedSoftwareComponent by the AssetSchemaType relationship. Its optional properties are:
- deployedImplementationType describes the technology used to implement the component (for example "Apache Spark"). Values for the deployedImplementationType attribute can be managed for consistency in a deployed implementation type valid value set.
- implementationLanguage describes the language used to implement the component.
The DeployedConnector entity represents specialist software component called a connector that provides pluggable access to third party technologies. These connectors implement the Open Connector Framework (OCF) interfaces. The DeployedConnector entity is typically linked to a Connection entity via a ConnectionToAsset relationship.
The EmbeddedProcess entity describes a processing element nested within a DeployedSoftwareComponent entity. Because it is transient it is possible to add the processStartTime and processEndTime properties to this entity.
The TransientEmbeddedProcess entity describes an EmbeddedProcess entity that runs only for a short period of time.
The ProcessHierarchy relationship defines a parent-child relationship between processes, which can be used to define more abstract processes that are comprised of lower-level processes; helping to support navigating the process hierarchy. Typically the top if the process hierarchy inherits from DeployedSoftwareComponent and the nested processes inherit from EmbeddedProcess.
Related Open Metadata Type Definitions
- Definition of Process
- Linking of processes into lineage graphs
- Ports to show specific input and output flows for a process
- PortSchema relationships to describe the structure of data supported by a Port
Use of these open metadata types
Raise an issue or comment below