0462 Governance Action Processes¶
The types on this page are used to define the process flow for a governance action process. The process flow is defined in open metadata so that it can be shared with processing engines throughout the open metadata ecosystem. In Egeria, the Governance Engine OMAS provides services for defining these process flows and is responsible for converting each step in the flow into an [engine action](/concepts/engine-action when the process executes.
The GovernanceActionProcess entity is the root of the governance action process. It gives the process its unique name and defines the first step through the GovernanceActionProcessFlow relationship.
GovernanceActionProcess inherits from Process so that it can be linked into the governance program as a technical control. See the GovernanceProcessImplementation relationship. It adds the domainIdentifier attribute to link the process to a specific governance domain.
The GovernanceActionFlow relationship defines the first [engine action](/concepts/engine-action to run in a governance action process. It includes an optional guard attribute that can be used by the processing engine for logging.
The GovernanceActionProcessStep entity defines a governance action process step. This represents a step in a governance action process. Its attributes provide a template for initializing an [engine action](/concepts/engine-action when the step in the process runs.
GovernanceActionProcessStep is a Referenceable and so has a unique name (qualifiedName) and additionalProperties attributes. In addition, this type adds
- domainIdentifier links the action to a specific governance domain.
- displayName - human-readable name for messages and user interfaces.
- description - description of the step.
- producedGuards - used to help the individual/tool that is constructing the flow for the governance action process to verify that all the necessary guards have been accounted for.
- ignoreMultipleTriggers - indicates that a governance action should only be triggered once from this governance action process step, no matter how many times the appropriate guards are produced. This is important for long-running governance actions that may be triggered by multiple instances of previous steps but is held waiting for the mandatory guard.
- waitTime - the minimum number of minutes that the governance action should wait before starting.
The GovernanceProcessStepExecutor relationship identifies the governance service that will run when the [engine action](/concepts/engine-action is started.
- requestType - identifies the governance request type that links to the governance service in the governance engine definition.
- requestParameters identifies additional request parameters that are passed to the governance service when it runs.
The NextGovernanceProcessStep relationship identifies the next step in the process flow.
- guard - identifies the guard produced by the previous step that will cause this step to execute.
- mandatoryGuard - indicates that this guard must be produced before the follow-on step is processed.
The follow-on action runs when all of its mandatory guards are produced by previous steps. It runs as many times as a matching guard is produced unless ignoreMultipleTriggers is set in which case it will run once for that guard.
The ignoreMultipleTriggers attribute in the NextGovernanceProcessStep has been deprecated.
Raise an issue or comment below