0045 Servers and Assets¶
Many data catalogs capture information about data stores, data sets, APIs and topics. These digital resources provide access to data and reusable function which is why they are of interest. These resources run on IT infrastructure.
The ServerAssetUseType describes the different types of dependencies that a software capability has on an asset.
- OWNS means that the asset is hosted and controlled by the software capability. For example, a database server OWNS the databases deployed to it.
- GOVERNS means the the asset is monitored and action is taken if the asset moves out of certain boundaries or thresholds. For example, an archiving service GOVERNS a database by removing records that are past a certain date.
- MAINTAINS means that although the software capability does not host the asset, it is responsible for maintaining its contents. For example, an application may store its data in a database running on a remote database server. The application MAINTAINS the database.
- USES means that the software capability is a consumer of the asset. For example, an analytical service may read the data in a database to feed an algorithm. The analytical service USES the database.
- OTHER means there is another type of dependency between the software capability and the asset.
- useType defines how the software capability depends on the asset as defined by the SoftwareAssetUseType enumeration.
- description provides a description of the use of the asset by the software capability.
- minimumInstances defines the minimum number of instances of the asset connected to the software capability.
- maximumInstances defines the maximum number of instances of the asset connected to the software capability.
Raise an issue or comment below