The Egeria "dojo" is an intensive course to help you learn about Egeria. It is designed as a 5-day effort, although, since it is self-study you can dip in and out of it as time permits.
The objectives of the five days are as follows:
- Running Egeria day: Learning about setting up and running Egeria.
- Developer day: Learning how to call Egeria's APIs and develop new connectors to integration third party technologies.
- Metadata Governance day: Learning how to improve the quality and expand the content of your metadata.
- Egeria Contributor day: Learning how to make a contribution to Egeria. Learning how to go on to become either an advocate or a maintainer.
- Egeria in Production day: Learning how to run Egeria in production with high availability and resilience.
The dojo sessions are colour-coded like ski runs:
As you progress through the dojo, the colors of the sessions show how advanced your knowledge is becoming.
The schedule also includes estimated times needed to complete each session. Do take breaks whenever needed!
Running Egeria day summary¶
Running Egeria Day
- Audience: Anyone who wants to run Egeria
- Objectives: This day provides an introduction to running Egeria.
- Prerequisites: none.
- Required skills: Familarity with *nix shell environment & editing files
- Introduction to Egeria
- Installing prerequisite tools - Kubernetes & Postman
- Installing a pre-configured Egeria environment
- Using the Ecosystem UI
- Configuring Egeria servers
- Running Egeria jupyter based labs
- Using the Egeria Ecosystem UI (React UI)
- Time to complete - 7 hours
- Installing Kubernetes & Postman (1 hour)
- Simple pre-built egeria configuration" (0.5 hours)
- Configuring Servers (2 hours)
- Coco Pharmaceutical labs (1.5 hours)
- Summary (30 mins)"
Developer day summary¶
- Audience: Developers
- Objectives: This dojo day combines learning about new concepts, developing simple components and running them using the Egeria technology. After completing this day of the dojo you should feel comfortable with calling Egeria's APIs and writing connectors.
- Prerequisites: Running Egeria day.
- Required skills: Familiarity with Java programming and using Git and GitHub. The exercises use the IntelliJ iDE but you can use your own choice of tool.
- Locating Egeria modules
- Calling Egeria's APIs
- Working with event driven interfaces
- Developing connectors and deploying to Egeria
- Developing open metadata archives
- Using the audit log and related diagnostics
- Time to complete - 12 hours
Metadata Governance Day summary¶
- Audience: Enterprise architects, Deployers and Operations
- Objectives: This dojo day combines learning about new concepts and trying them out using the Egeria technology. After completing this day of the dojo you will understand the key principles of governing your metadata and how to set up Egeria to automate most of your requirements.
- Prerequisites: Running Egeria day.
- Required skills: Familiarity with running commands and using tools such as Postman. No programming experience is required.
- The need for metadata governance
- Metadata security
- Governance zones
- Using open metadata archives
- Automating metadata capture
- Using governance actions and metadata discovery
- Managing lineage metadata
- Connecting metadata governance to your governance program
- Governance by expectation
- Incident management
- Time to complete - 13 hours
Egeria Contributor Day summary¶
- *Audience*: Anyone interested in contributing to Egeria - *Objectives*: This dojo day combines learning about new concepts and trying them out using the Egeria technology. After completing this day of the dojo you will understand the key principles of governing your metadata and how to set up Egeria to automate most of your requirements. - *Prerequisites*: None. - *Required skills*: None. - *Topics* - Open source philosophy (30 mins) - Tools for contributors (90 mins) - Making a contribution, step-by-step (90 mins) - Types of contribution (60 mins) - Becoming a contributor (30 mins) - Becoming an advocate (90 mins) - Becoming a maintainer (90 mins) - Egeria architecture and philosophy (the "deep stuff") (90 mins)" - *Time to complete* - 8 hours
Egeria in Production Day summary¶
- *Audience*: Anyone wishing to plan to move Egeria into production - *Objectives*: This dojo day walks through the considerations for moving an Egeria deployment into production - *Prerequisites*: [Running Egeria day](#running-egeria-day-summary). - *Required skills*: Understanding of production requirements in your organization. - *Topics*: - TBD - *Time to complete* - 8 hours