Open Metadata Type Definitions (TypeDefs)¶
TypeDefs define the characteristics of a particular type of an open metadata instance/element
There are three categories of TypeDefs (
- EntityDef: the definition of a type of entity
- RelationshipDef: the definition of a type of relationship
- ClassificationDef: the definition of a type of classification
TypeDefs can inherit from other TypeDefs from the same category. Open metadata support single inheritance.
TypeDefs also define then names and types of properties for a metadata instance of that type. Each property has a TypeDefAttribute definition that references an AttributeTypeDef as its type.
The AttributeTypeDefs are the type definitions for properties. There are three categories of AttributeTypeDefs.
- EnumDef: the definition of an enumerated list of valid values.
- CollectionDef: the definition of a collection - such as an array of strings, or a map from string to object.
- PrimitiveDef: a primitive - such as a string, integer or date.